Alumni quote: "The master was an amazing experience and is an excelent tool for fire safety engineering"
Carmen Gorska Putynska (IMFSE alumnus) wins the IAFSS Best Poster Award - June 2017
|IMFSE alumnus Carmen Gorska Putynska won the Best Poster Award at the occasion of the 12th IAFSS Symposium (June 2017 - Lund). The poster presented her research on 'Self-extinguishment of Exposed Cross Laminated Timber Walls in Compartment Fires' wich is being performed at the University of Queensland (Australia) under the supervision of Juan P. Hidalgo and Jose Torero. Congratulations, Carmen!|
IMFSE Alumnus becomes program evaluator for ABET - 2017
|Nick Bartlett, Senior Fire Protection Engineer at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory in Berkeley, California, was recently accepted to become a program evaluator for for ABET. ABET is a non-governmental accreditation agency for engineering and science programs. As a volunteer for ABET, Nick will work to assess undergraduate fire safety engineering programs to assure they are meeting the standards required by the profession. Nick also recently assisted in the fire investigation of the Ghost Ship Fire in Oakland, California, a tragic fire which claimed the lives of 36 individuals.|
IMFSE alumnus Daan Van den Broecke wins the 'Daan Sugden Young Engineerings Writing Award' (ATS) - 2016
Daan Van den Broecke (IMFSE class 2014-2016) has won the D. Sugden Young Engineers Writing Award award for his paper 'Study on the Effectiviness of Sprinklers in Tunnels'. The research was done at the University of Queensland (Australia), one of the Associated Partners of the IMFSE Consortium. This award from the Australasian Tunnel Society is given yearly to a youg engineer to develop the art of technical writing.
IMFSE alumnus Daniel Martin (USA) wins the very first 'IWMA Young Talent Award 2016' - July 2016
The winner of this year’s “IWMA Young Talent Award / Master” is Mr. Daniel Alexander Martin. The title of his winning master thesis is: “The Use of a Water Mist Curtain as a Radiation Shield”.
Daniel performed his thesis research under the supervision of Bjarne Husted (Lund University) in academic year 2014-2015, within the framework of his IMFSE studies. The full thesis can be accessed here.
Mr. Martin, who has been a volunteer firefighter, has now started to work for Jensen Hughes, Inc. as an Associate Fire Protection Engineer at the company headquarters in Baltimore, USA.
IMFSE alumnus Bart Van Weyenberge wins the Fire Forum Award - november 2015
IMFSE Alumnus Bart Van Weyenberge won the 2015-2016 Fire Forum Award in the category 'Research' on the 3th National Fire Forum Awards. He won the award for his research regarding the development of a risk assessment methodology for quantifying the life safety risk in case of fire in challenging buildings.
The research was conducted in cooperation with Ghent University and Fire Engineered Solutions Ghent (SFEG), an UGent spin-off.
More info on the award (in Dutch)
IMFSE Alumnus Brecht Debrouwere wins IFV-VVBA Award with Master Thesis (Promotor: Prof. Bart Merci) - November 2013
IMFSE Alumnus Brecht Debrouwere won the IFV-VVBA Award on the 6th National Fire Safety Engineering congress in The Netherlands. He won the award for his excellent master thesis entitled ‘A study on initial fire behaviour in lower energy houses’.
This master thesis has been written as final assessment in the International Master of Science in Fire Safety Engineering, with Prof. Bart Merci as promotor. More info (in Dutch) is found on here and here.
The decision for the award has been motivated by the Chairman as follows:
‘Given the scientific argumentation, the applicability for the fire brigade and the presentation of the work, we as jury decided to grant the Scriptieprijs 2013 to Brecht Debrouwere. He describes in an exceptionally clear manner the risks that may occur in case of fire in a (very) low energy house. The dissertation is of high scientific level and of strong relevance for the fire brigade. It provides important information for the fire service, both for the phase of fire prevention and for the phase of fire service intervention. Debrouwere combines clear and useful theory, experiments and application to practice.’
The thesis is found here.
Prof. Bart Merci’s group wins 2 Fire Forum Awards - November 2013
Prof. Bart Merci’s group received 2 of the 2013 FireForum Awards. The first award concerns the collaboration with Brandweer Gent for the fire tests in the high-rise buildings ‘Rabottoren’, where also ELIS-iMinds was involved. The other award concerns the successful spin-off company Fire Engineered Solutions Ghent, led by ir. Xavier Deckers. More info on the FireForum Awards can be found here (Dutch).
Prof. Bart Merci’s group wins the Fire Forum Award for Social Value- November 2011
FireForum Awards is a new Belgium prize to celebrate excelence in fire safety engineering. It is organized by Fire Forum in cooperation with the Federal Public Service Home Affairs and the Federal Civil Security Knowledge (KCCE). The first edition of the awards was celebrated at the Koloniënpaleis, Tervuren, on 17 Nov 2011. More info and pictures
This is a growing overview of the presentations and papers from the IMFSE alumni.
- Blond, J.J., Venturini, M., & Kanitz, A. (March 2014). New Generation of hot smoke tests in tunnels. Tunnel Safety & Security - 6th International Symposium. Marseille - France: ISTSS.
- Cosma G., Ronchi E. & Nilsson D. Way-finding lighting systems for rail tunnel evacuation: A virtual reality experiment with Oculus Rift, Journal of Transportation Safety & Security. January 2016.
- Debrouwere, B. (2013). A study on initial fire behaviour in lower energy houses. 6th National Congress Fire Safety Engineering (FSE). VVBA-IFV. (Award
- Deckers, X.; Debrouwere, B. (2013). SHC-study concerning the transformation of an underground station to a nightclub. FireForum Awards. (Award winning nominee)
- Ebrahim Zadeh, S., Maragkos, G., Beji, T. and Merci, B. (January 2016). Large Eddy Simulations of the Ceiling Jet Induced by the Impingement of a Turbulent Air Plume. Fire Technology, pp. 1-23.
- S. Ebrahim Zadeh, T. Beji & B. Merci; (May 2016). Assessement of FDS 6 Simulation Results for a Large-Scale Ethanol Pool Fire; Combustion Science and Technology Volume 188, Issue 4-5
- Troncoso J., Ronchi E. & Nilsson D. Response to emergency way-finding systems by people from different cultures. Proceedings of the 6th Human Behaviour in Fire Symposium 2015. Interscience Communications. Downing College, Cambridge, UK. September 28, 2015.
- Blond J.J. New Generation of Smoke Tests. ISSTS (International Symposium on Tunnel Safety and Security), Marseille 2014.
- Blond J.J. Izar, an innovative smoke testing System by using premixed flames for a new smoke testing Strategie. 4th Magdeburg Day of Fire and Explosion Safety, March 2015.
- Blond J.J. Hot Smoke test in Tunnels: An innovative Approach using premixed flames.7th International Symposium Fire Safety in Railway Systems 2015.
- Emberley R., Inghelbrecht A., Doyle N. and Torero J. Components and Consequences of Cross Laminated Timber Delamination; 2015 AOSFST conference, Tsukuba Japan, 2015.
- Rios, O. Forecasting Wind-Driven Wildfires Using an Inverse Modelling. IDEA-Numerical Wildfires Workshop . Cargese, France
- M. M. Valero, O. Rios, E. Pastor, E. Planas, Automatic Detection of Wildfire Active Fronts from Aerial Thermal Infrared Images. AITA 2015 - Advanced Infrared Technology and Applications
- Miralles, A.; Pastor, E.; Planas, E.; Rios, O.; Muñoz, M.; Tarrago, D.; Martins, R. Toward the validation of CFD simulations for dispersion analysis: The USP-UPC experimental campaign, EMCHIE 2015: 7th European Meeting on Chemical Industry and Environment: Tarragona, Spain: June 10-12, 2015: conference proceedings. 2015.
- Tarrago, D.; Planas, E.; Rios, O.; Pastor, E. Study of the predictive capacity of WFDS in laboratory-scale forest fires. 7th International Conference on Forest Fire Research Abstracts Book. 2014
- Rios, O., Jahn, W. & Rein, G., 2014. Forecasting wind-driven wildfires using an inverse modelling approach. Natural Hazards and Earth System Science, 14(6), pp.1491–1503.
- Rios, O.; Pastor, E., Tarragó, D., Rein, G., Planas, E. Short term forecasting of large scale wind-driven wildfires using thermal imaging and inverse modelling techniques. Advances in Forest Fire Research, Coimbra: Imprensa da Universidade de Coimbra, 2014.
- Rios, O.; Pastor, E.; Planas, E. Fire Safety Academic Education at University Level in Spain: The Growing Case of Catalonia. 1st SFPE Europe Conference in Fire Safety Engineering, June 2015.
- Rios, O. (2013). Forecasting Wind-Driven Wildfires Using an Inverse Modelling Approach. Numerical Wildfires Workshop. Cargese - Corsica.
- Rios, O. (September, 2013). Forecasting wildfire dynamics for wind-driven conditions. Warsaw: Maig 2013 and ICRA Project Workshop.
- Rios, O., Jahn, W., & Rein, G. (2013). Forecasting wind-driven wildfires using an inverse modelling approach. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences. Discussion.
- Santamaria S., Kempná K.,. Thomas J. C, El Houssami M., Mueller E., Kasimov D., Filkov A., Gallagher M. R., Skowronski N., Hadden R. and Simeoni A.. Investigation of Structural Wood Ignition by Firebrand Accumulation. Proceedings on The First International Conference on Structural Safety under Fire & Blast. CONFAB 2015. Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- Winkler M., Carvel R. The effect of longitudinal ventilation on tenability during egress from passenger trains in tunnels during fire emergencies. 16th International Symposium on Aerodynamics Ventilation and Fire in Tunnels. September 2015.
- Ebrahim Zadeh, S., Beji, T, Merci, B. and Butafuoco, H. (May 2013). Parameter Study in CFD simulations of Thermal Blockage by a Water Curtain in a Multi-Compartment Fire Configuration. 7th International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards (ISFEH 2013)
- Heidari, M. (October 2013). Fire Safety Engineering: Challenges and Opportunities, The International Pre-stressed Hollowcore Association (IPHA) annual conference. France.
- Uadiale, S., & Urban, E. (February 2014). Overview of Problems and Solutions in Fire Protection Engineering of Wind Turbines. 11th IAFSS Symposium. New Zealand: IAFSS.
- Van den Broecke, D, The University of Queensland. (Aug 2017). Effectiveness of sprinklers for fire suppression. TunnelTalk
- Van Weyenberge, B., & Deckers, X. (March, 2014). Development of a risk assessment method for fire in rail tunnels. Tunnel Safety & Security - 6th International Symposium. Marseille - France: ISTSS.
- Wahlqvist, J., Hellebuyck, D., Hees, P. v., Magnusson, T., & Jörud, F. (2013). Recent fire research related to Swedish nuclear power plants and European Spallation Source. Post-SMiRT-22 Conference on Fire Safety in Nuclear Power Plants and Installation. Columbia, South Carolina, USA.